Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Oh the weather outside is frightful...

Well, it certainly was frightful! We've gotten hammered here this week. Sunday evening, it started sleeting, and as we were getting ready to go to bed, our power went out. So DH and I got a naked Rachel out of bed...she had stripped off her jammies AGAIN...we got her dressed in her footie pj's and she ended up sleeping in our bed to keep warm. Hubby and Rachel slept well, but I didn't sleep at all...not even for a minute. For one, the two of them left me with very little room, and second, I was afraid I'd roll over on her. And finally, DH was snoring a bit too much...well, more like whistling. So come Monday morning I was tired and grouchy.

Thankfully, our power came back on at about 5:30 Monday morning. I hopped up and turned off things that didn't need to be one, and put Rachel back in her own bed. Unfortunately, I couldn't fall asleep, and so I layed on the couch and watched storm footage. Things were going from bad to worse. We lost power again for a few hours, and then it came back on. DH had to go to work, so that left Rachel and I at home to deal with whatever happened. Our power went out again at about 8:45 Monday night. That really was the pits...our house was cold, my car was completely covered in more than an inch of ice, the ground and roads were like skating rinks.

Unfortunately, there was a rather large tree limb or two laying on the roof right over my bed, and so I didn't think it would be a good idea to bring Rachel into our room. So, I got to sleep on the floor of her room. Not too comfy, but I wanted her close. She was covered in warm fuzzy blankets and so she was comfortable enough. I on the other hand was not...the worst thing was that every time I heard a noise, I jumped. Trees were coming down, limbs were cracking, and I wanted to make sure they weren't about to come down on us. The power came back on about an hour later, and I was SO glad...but it only lasted about 5 minutes. I was looking out of her bedroom window and saw sparks and flames shooting up from behind a neighbor's house. I called 911, and then the transformer behind her house started having a series of exposions, and then all was dark and quiet again. All in all, I got about 5 hours of sleep on Monday night.

We were SO blessed to have only suffered the inconvenience of not having power for a short while...there are still at least 100,000 homes without any electricity, and some without water, because the water treatment plants don't have electricity either.

Here are some photos I took around the house.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I've got a new freebie uploaded, but I haven't made a preview for it yet...I'll try to get that done this week and post it for you guys. That is, unless we lose power again! We're due for a possible snowstorm on Friday, so we'll see!

No comments: